My intentions were to progress my fitness routine this week. Up my weights. Amp up the cardio. Maybe try something out of the ordinary. But, due to another infectious illness, things have taken a bit of a turn. Apparently I have the immune system of an infant or something, because I just can’t seem to keep the germs from getting to me. It’s super annoying, but I figure if that’s the worst of my problems, I’m doing pretty good!
So instead of posting about fitness goals and motivation this week, I’m sharing my priorities (from my humble, completely non-medical perspective of course) when I’m feeling under the weather!
1. Take a break from exercise. You can try to be tough and push through, but in my experience, all that has typically led to is a lot of disgusted stares in the gym and a ferocious case of bronchitis in no time. It’s ok to take break, especially when you are congested and coughing, and don’t feel bad about it. Instead of going to the gym after work, I go home, make a cup of tea, and rest under a blanket. Your body needs energy to fight the infection.
2. Drink water. I know I should be doing this every day anyway, it’s especially important to getting an infection out of your body. I also like adding berry flavored AirBorne to my water. I swear it gives me energy and temporarily makes symptoms seem less severe. Hopefully I can keep chugging at this rate post sickness too??
3. Feed your cold. My mom always says “feed a cold, starve a fever”. No idea if there is any truth in this, but I do know that it’s important to keep eating in order to keep my immune system fighting. I do try to pay more attention to portion sizes though, since I’m not exercising to burn it off on these days!
4. Take drugs if you need them. I’ll never understand the people that won’t go to the doctor or take anything for their ailments. Hey, if I wanted to go on for months feeling miserable, I guess it’s no big deal, but I’m not one of those people. I have a life to live and things to do and people to see, not to mention a class full of children who are much more enjoyable to be around when I am healthy. Drugs work. They make you feel better and there is nothing shameful about taking them when done so in the way they are prescribed. Antibiotics are my best friend and I cannot imagine my life without them.
5. Make a plan to start again and stick to it. I’ll probably start with lifting again, and add cardio back in once most of the coughing has stopped. I’m still browsing swimsuits, thinking summer, and maintaining confidence that I will be back at it in full force with plenty of time to shape up. You can do it too!
What’s your opinion on exercising when you’re sick? Do you push through or throw in the towel?